There have been a lot of questions regarding the official JAMB subject combination for Civil Engineering Technology, and today, I’ll be providing you with answers to these questions, including:
“What subjects are needed for Civil Engineering in jamb?”
“What are the O-level requirements for Civil Engineering?”
“What are the four subjects in jamb for engineering?”
“Must I pass Math before I can study civil engineering at the University”?
On this page, I’ll be sharing with you, the complete Civil Engineering JAMB combination, including Civil engineering Admission admission requirements, the correct O’level, Waec Subject combination for Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Direct entry requirement through JAMB, JUPEB, and IJMB.
The good thing about a subject combination, either JAMB or Waec, is that it is the same for all Universities, Polytechnics, and Colleges of Education in Nigeria. This means that no matter the higher institution you are applying for admission into, (UNIBEN, OKOPOLY, UI, UNIPORT, MOUAU, FUTO, UNILAG, DELSU, etc.) you can always use the same subject combination. For your O’level qualification, you need to have at least, a pass to be eligible for admission to study Civil Engineering in Nigeria.
O’level Subject Requirements For Civil Engineering.
To study Computer Engineering in Nigeria, according to the JAMB brochure, you MUST have at least, a minimum of five (5) credits in your O’ level (WAEC, NECO, or NABTEB) core courses. Likewise, you also need to select four (4) subjects in JAMB and score up to your selected institution’s cut-off mark for admission.
What Are The Subjects Required To Study Civil Engineering?
- English Language,
In some situations (JAMB or O-level), the aforementioned courses may not be required. But I’ll show you how the aforementioned courses can be very helpful in gaining entry to a Nigerian university’s Civil Engineering program. Both Physics and Chemistry are required and highly weighted on O’ level examinations like WAEC, NECO, NABTEB, and GCE. Specifically, you’ll need to have scored at least a C in both Chemistry and Physics in your O-level exams.
Biology: However, for JAMB you will not select Biology among the four required subjects. This is to say, that Biology is not required in JAMB to study Civil Engineering but it may or may not be included in your O’ level.
However, English Language, Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics are the more important subjects for you as a Civil Engineering student, because they are all important and required for both JAMB and your O’ level if you must study Civil Engineering in any Nigerian institution.
JAMB and Waec Subjects to study Civil Engineering.
These are the FOUR major subjects needed in JAMB, the correct JAMB subject combination for Civil engineering. (Take note that JAMB has made it mandatory that all candidates must write the JAMB Use of English, irrespective of the course you intend to study).
- Use of English,
O’Level Subject Combination For Civil Engineering.
When we say O’level subject combinations, what it means is that these are the subjects needed for your admission to be considered. Although, unlike JAMB, the minimum number of subjects in O’level examinations is Eight subjects (8) and a maximum of nine (9), out of these Nine or Eight subjects, five (5) are core subjects specific for the course you
wish to study which in this case is Civil Engineering.
In WAEC, core subjects to study Civil Engineering are…
- English Language.
- and any other science subject of your choice.
- You can choose any three (3) or four (4) subjects that you scored high in, or if you are yet to write your WAEC, you can pick any subject you are good in, so you can have a higher score.
As I’ve earlier stated, the Civil Engineering subject combination for Waec is applicable for all O’ level exams, such as NECO, NABTEB, etc.
Study Civil Engineering Direct Entry Admission Requirements.
These are the following requirements for candidates who wish to be gainfully admitted into any Nigerian University to study Civil engineering through Direct Entry (D.E)
‘A’ Level passes in the following subjects.
- Take note that you also need to pass all the UTME requirements.
List Of Federal Universities That Offers Civil Engineering.
For those who are not aware, there are various institutions in Nigeria studying Civil engineering but are not accredited by the National University Commission (NUC).
To make your entry into Universities simple and stress-free, here are Universities in Nigeria offer Civil Engineering.
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi.
- Adeleke University, Ede, Osun State.
- Afe Babalola University , Ado-Ekiti.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
- Akwa Ibom State University, Ikot-Akpaden.
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma.
- Anambra State University, Uli.
- Bayero University, Kano.
- Baze University, Fct, Abuja.
- Covenant University, Canaan Land, Ota.
- Cross Rivers University Of Technology, Calabar.
- Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti.
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin, Ondo State.
- Enugu State University Of Science And Technology, Enugu.
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Abeokuta.
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi.
- Federal University Of Technology Minna.
- Federal University Of Technology, Akure.
- Federal University Of Technology, Owerri.
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State.
- Gregory University, Uturu, Abia State.
- Igbinedion University, Okada, Benin City.
- Imo State University, Owerri.
- Kano University Of Science And Technology, Wudil.
- Kebbi State University Of Science And Technology, Aliro.
- Kwara State University, Malete, Ilorin.
- Madonna University, Okija.
- Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike.
- Modibo Adama University Of Technology, Yola.
- Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island.
- Nigeria Turkish Nile University, Abuja.
- Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna, Kaduna State.
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye.
- Ondo State University Of Science And Technology, Okitipupa.
- Osun State University, Osogbo.
- Rivers State University Of Science And Technology, Port Harcourt.
- University Of Abuja, FCT Abuja.
- The University Of Benin, Benin City, Edo state.
- University Of Ibadan, Ibadan.
- University Of Ilorin, Ilorin.
- University Of Jos, Jos.
- University Of Lagos (Unilag).
- University Of Maiduguri (UniMaid).
- University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN).
- University Of Port-Harcourt (Uniport).
- University Of Uyo (UNIUYO).
Frequently Asked Questions About Civil Engineering Admission.
Is Mathematics compulsory for Civil Engineering in JAMB?
Mathematics is one of the most important subjects in Civil Engineering. So it’s compulsory and mandatory to be good in mathematics if you want to excel as a civil engineer. In civil engineering, Mathematics is not optional.
What are the Compulsory subjects for Civil Engineering?
These are the major and mandatory subjects for civil engineering. Use of English, Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry. The above-mentioned are compulsory subjects for Civil Engineering in JAMB and Waec.
While for Waec, these are the compulsory subjects for civil engineering;
- English Language,
- Chemistry and any other science subject.
What are the main subjects of Civil Engineering?
This question is the same as the compulsory subjects for civil engineering, to ensure you graduate with an amazing result in Civil Engineering, these are the main subjects you should focus more on. They are Mathematics, English Language Chemistry, and Physics.
Can I Study Civil Engineering Without Physics in JAMB?
Physics is very important to civil engineering, so it’s a compulsory and mandatory subject. You cannot study Civil Engineering without Physics, Physics is important both in your O’ level result and JAMB. Having below a Pass in Physics in your O’level result may likely cost you, your admission into a higher institution.
Is Further Math Compulsory for Civil Engineering?
Further Mathematics is not a compulsory subject in any Nigerian higher institution for applicants who wish to study Civil Engineering.
UTME, DE Admission Requirements.
|DIRECT ENTRY REQUIREMENT||UTME REQUIREMENT||SUBJECTS|
|(i) ‘A’ Level passes in Physics and Mathematics.||Five (5) SSC credit passes include Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English Language, and one Science subject||Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.|
|(ii) ND/HND upper credit at appropriate levels.|